We’re Hiring – Part Time Blossom Buddies Teen Programme Co-Ordinator
Part Time Blossom Buddies Teen Programme Co-Ordinator
- Are you someone who is interested in working with teenagers with intellectual disabilities to empower them to build friendships and life-skills?
- Are you an innovative, forward thinking professional up for a unique challenge?
- Do you want to work with an award-winning organisation with a proven track record of positively impacting children and teenagers with special needs?
- Are you interested in a term-time weekend role at a competitive rate of pay?
If so, Blossom Ireland is looking for you!
About our Blossom Buddies programme
The purpose of Blossom Buddies is to support young people with intellectual disabilities to learn new life skills and develop existing life skills in an interactive and teen-led environment. They are encouraged to use their own voice, form their own opinions and learn alongside their peers while developing positive relationships away from their families. And above all it is about having fun in a relaxed social setting.
What we need
We are recruiting two ‘Blossom Buddies’ Programme Co-Ordinators to design and implement our weekly programmes which run during term time at the weekend.
As a Blossom Buddies Co-Ordinator you will be working with teenagers aged 13-18 years (groups will be split into different age brackets) around developing independent life skills, such as using public transport, handling money, internet safety & relationships. For the older teens we will be looking at facilitating transition from school, including planning for life after school, work placements and preparation for interviews.
This position would suit someone who can commit to working at the weekend during term time, or who is in a part-time position.
Responsibilities will include:
- Planning and delivering life skills workshops for teenagers, with support from support assistants.
- Using evidence-based methods to create programs unique to the teen’s interests and abilities.
- Tailoring each group of sessions to a specific theme, e.g. shopping, road safety, use of the internet etc.
- Endeavouring to incorporate the individual needs of the group members
- Behaviour management.
- Delegating tasks to the group’s support assistants.
- Managing relationships with parents of blossom buddies with empathy and the utmost professionalism.
- Participating and contributing to staff training and induction.
The successful applicant will have:
- An appropriate third level qualification such as Drama therapy, Educational Psychology, Social Care, Occupational Therapy or any other relevant qualification in the social science, healthcare or educational field.
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience working with teenagers in a group setting. Experience in development of life skills programmes is a distinct advantage.
- A background in drama, music or art is desirable.
- Passion, enthusiasm and commitment to enabling teens with intellectual disabilities to live an independent and fulfilled life
- Commitment to using a rights-based approach.
- To be a reliable and responsible person who can work consistently to support
individuals and their families.
- Creativity, the ability to find solutions and overcome barriers with positivity and enthusiasm.
- Experience in maintaining a friendly and respectful working relationship with individuals and to offer support without taking control.
- Effective, assertive communication skills and the ability to communicate with people who are non-verbal.
About Blossom Ireland
Blossom Ireland is an award winning organisation founded by 2 mothers passionate in the belief that their children with special needs deserve the same opportunities as all children. Blossom Ireland has been delivering therapy led camps and activities to children with intellectual disabilities since 2011. We are a dynamic and forward-thinking organisation that prides itself on providing child-centred services for children and teenagers. We aim to nurture the younger children through our Discovery camps and equip the teenagers with independent living skills through our Blossom Buddies programme.
The Package: €22 per hour
Hours: 10.00am – 5.00pm on Saturday and/or Sunday during school term-time. We are happy for you to work either Saturday or Sunday, or both.
Location: Raheny Village, Dublin 5 (five minutes from Raheny DART station)
To apply: Please send a detailed CV including with a letter of application outlining your suitability for the role to email@example.com, or post to; Imelda Fitzpatrick, Blossom Ireland, 2nd Floor, Raheny Shopping Centre, Raheny, Dublin 5 D05K718.
N.B. – CVs received without an accompanying letter of application will not be considered.
Closing Date: Monday 17th October 2016.